Tuesday, April 3, 2012

SMART Goals

"A dream is just a dream.  A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline." Harvey MacKay

I recently blogged about opening myself up and allowing myself to dream with the firm belief that those dreams can become a reality.  The workshop that I taught today along with the quote above made me believe that today was a good day to blog about setting goals.

I realized that having dreams is vital, but it is also important to take steps towards achieving these dreams.  When we take our dreams and develop action plans to reach these dreams, our dreams become goals.

When I set goals, I try to make sure that they are SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable (humanly possible), Realistic (possible for you as an individual), and most importantly Time bound.  If you are anything like me, you tend to set SMAR goals, but you forget about that T - you don't give yourself a target / deadline.  When you fail to set a deadline, your goals end up being something that you will do "one of these days".

Based on things I have read and studied, I have learned that successful people tend to do 3 things.  1) Set goals, 2) Write their goals down and keep them visible, 3) Share their goals with someone who's opinion matters to them.

I challenge you to set at least 1 SMART goal for yourself today, write it down, and share it with someone!  Then watch as you begin to grow :)


No comments:

Post a Comment