Wednesday, April 4, 2012

SMILE!

"Lift your thoughts, lift your expectations, and lift yourself.  Train yourself to look for the good things you want and the good will respond." Iyanla Vanzant

As I was driving home today, it started to rain.  Naturally I was in a hurry to get home and be able to unwind, so of course everyone around me slowed way down and I started to get frustrated.  I realized what I was doing and how pointless it was, so I started to chastise myself (I'm sure you've learned by now that I tend to talk to myself).  I knew I needed to change my frame of mind and accept that I would get home safe and sound all in good time.  I decided to open my eyes and look at the beauty that the rain brings.  I was passing a pasture full of cows and the grass was so green and vibrant that I had to smile.  Smiling helped to further change my mindset and it made me think of rainbows.  The next thing I know, I looked to my left and there was a huge, beautiful, colorful rainbow right there at my side!  I felt like it was a gift from God to me - Him sharing a smile.  It's amazing how when we expect good things, we get good things!!  And it's amazing how small things like a smile can make such a difference in our lives.

In today's Interviewing workshop, I shared with job seekers how important a smile is.  It is the foundation to a great first and a great lasting impression.  It shows employers that we are positive, that we are confident, that we are friendly, that we are someone they want to work with on a daily basis.  It is your most important accessory.  And if you don't feel like smiling, my recommendation is to 'fake it til you make it'.  When you put on a fake smile, other people are going to smile back at you, and it probably won't take long until that fake smile is genuine!

"Every time you smile at someone it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing." Mother Teresa

Make the world - your world - a better place, share your smile!!







No comments:

Post a Comment